As my friends are slowly getting home from their respective schools for the summer, we’ve decided that we need to cook as much delicious food as possible this summer. Tonight we tried out these awesome wraps that were super tasty, and easy and fun to make with the group. The recipe called for chicken, but to make it vegetarian we just substituted tofu!
Part 1: Marinade the tofu
- extra firm tofu (the recipe called for 3 small chicken breasts)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix the soy sauce, vegetable oil and grill seasoning to make the marinade. Grill seasoning isn’t something that we have in our cabinet, but it’s just an easy mixture of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, ground coriander, and red pepper flakes. We also found that we needed to double the amount of marinade, but this can depend on how much tofu you decide to make.
- Slice tofu into four segments length wise, dip each side in the marinade, and place in a baking pan.
- Bake on the top rack for 15 minutes, turn each slice over, and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Cut into cubes after the tofu has cooled.
Part 2: Salad Base
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 scallions, sliced on an angle
- 12 leaves basil, chopped or torn
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint leaves (4 sprigs)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Combine and toss these ingredients to make the salad base for the wrap.
Part 3: Peanut Sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic (or more!)
- 3 tbs. toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or enough to give desired consistency)
- 2 tbs. soy sauce
- 1 tbs. chili flakes
- 1 tbs. paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 tbs. grated ginger
- 1 tbs. honey
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3 tbs. chopped parsley
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor until it reaches desired consistency.
- **Careful! If you’re not one for spicy things, cut back on the spices, because this sauce has quite the kick!**
Part 4: Put it together
- Flat bread worked great to wrap everything up in, but tortillas, pita, or other similar things would probably work too!
- Add the salad, tofu, and peanut sauce to the wrap, roll it up, and taste the goodness!