Thanks to Mara for this recipe!
Creamy Tortellini Soup
- 1 1.8 oz envelope white sauce mix
- 4 c water
- 14 oz veggie broth
- 1.5 c sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 8 oz dried cheese tortellini
- 6 c baby spinach leaves
- Finely shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- In slow cooker, put white sauce mix and water. Stir until smooth.
- Stir in broth, mushrooms, onion, garlic, basil, salt, oregano, and red pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 – 6 hours or on high for 2.5 – 3 hours. Stir in tortellini, cover, and cook on high for 45 minutes. (When I was out buying supplies, I was a tad frazzled and could only find frozen tortellini instead of the dried tortellini. The frozen seemed to still work pretty well.)
- Stir in milk and spinach. (I did this about 20 minutes after I put the tortellini in. Plus we only had about 2 cups of spinach because I forgot to buy more, and it was still good.)
- Serve and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
The verdict: I thought it was kind of salty. But I was eating pretzels right before this, so I don’t know how that affected my taste buds. It was sort of a “meh” dish for me, but everyone else in my family couldn’t get enough of it. So we had no leftovers for the next day, which is usually a pretty good benchmark of how much the dish was liked. I think this would also be one of those good recipes in which you can just dump any and all vegetables you want into it. But don’t hold me to that.
PS- This is really good with corn muffins. Well, anything tastes good with a corn muffin. But especially this.